Bhaji refers to the sabji that is served along with the pav and pavs refer to the buns that are fried over stove with oil to serve along with the bhaji. This dish serves to be the burning one for majority of Indian cities and you can see most of restaurants having it in their menu as well. (Mumbai Pav Bhaji Recipe)
Mumbai Pav Bhaji Recipe
1 tsp garam masala
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 or 2 green chilies, chopped
3 to 4 tsp pav bhaji masala
Salt and pepper according to taste
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
400 ml water
70 gram Butter
Paos according to requirement.
4 medium sizes potatoes
200 gram chopped cauliflower (chopped)
100 gram chopped carrot
A handful of frozen peas and beans
1 onion (peeled, sliced and diced)
2 tomatoes (sliced and diced)
1 tsp amchoor
Garnishing:- With coriander leaves
1. First of all we rinse all the vegetables in water and then the potatoes, peas, beans and carrots are boiled in water and then kept aside with skin removed. (Mumbai Pav Bhaji Recipe)
2. Chop all the veggies and then mash them lightly mixing along with the cauliflower which you should keep grates in advance.
3. Add half of the butter in a pan now and then add cumin seeds to it when it gets melted. The cumin seeds will splatter and then you have to add the chopped onions.
4. Add the ginger-garlic paste now and then add the chili, pepper and salt along with the spices mentioned in ingredients. (Mumbai Pav Bhaji Recipe)
5. Now we have to add the tomatoes and fry them till they become soft enough. Keep mixing all the stuff while stirring with spoon and add the rest of ingredients now.
6. The bhaji gets ready this way while the paos or the buns can first by turned into two half disks with a knife and then applying some butter to them you can fry them each on the stove serving them with bhaji kept in plate after garnishing.
The pav Bhaji gets even better if you prepare tomato puree side by side and pour it up on the bhaaji mixture while preparing it. (Mumbai Pav Bhaji Recipe)